In the manual on page 33, meal management and
time saving tips are discussed. You learned that a typical dinner meal includes
a salad, main dish, vegetable(s), bread and butter, dessert, and a beverage.
Four tips were offered that included:
- Money limits - stay in the budget.
- Nutrition - use foods from a variety of the food groups
in every meal.
- Attractive meals - use contrasting color, texture, flavor,
and shape to present your foods in a pleasing manner.
- Time and energy limits - don't waste time or energy.
Listed below are some other tips that will help you when
preparing an entire meal.
- Read all recipes very carefully before starting any meal.
You can save time by gathering all needed ingredients and utencils before
- If you don't have an ingredient, check a substitutions
list, and if no substitutions will work, find another recipe or make a list
for the grocery store. It is important that you use exact amounts of ingredients
in a recipe.
- Don't forget to preheat your oven when starting any recipe.
Then when your food is ready to be baked, your oven is at the correct temperature.
- Take the recipe one step at a time. Don't jump and skip
steps, the steps are in the exact order of how the reicpe should be prepared.
- Clean up as you go, especially when making more than
one recipe. This will save you excess clean up time in the end. When you are
through with a untensil, place in warm, soapy water.
- Devote your attention to one main recipe. This recipe
is usually the entree or meat dish. Concentrate on that recipe and form your
meal by adding quick to fix or already prepared foods such as steamed vegetables,
a frozen side dish, fresh fruit, or a bakery dessert.
- Purchase boness, skinless cuts of meat. Don't waste time
de-skinning or de-boning a chicken when all you need is chicken breasts. Purchase
the chicken already skinned and boned.
- When you are through cooking, check the stove, oven,
and other appliances used to be sure you have turned them off.
Back to top
© Copyright (2002) Purdue
University, West Lafayette, Indiana, 47907. All Rights Reserved.