You can make a complete dinner
by choosing one or more foods from the following categories. On the foods
that have a * beside them, click on the name for the recipe below.
You want your menu to look like this:
Vegetable #1 (can be a salad)
Bread & Butter
Dessert (can be a Fruit dish)
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup orange jam
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey Dijon mustard
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- Set oven to 400°F.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the orange jam, soy sauce,
rice vinegar, mustard, and garlic together.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes. Be sure that
the chicken is fully cooked.
- You can serve your orange chicken with rice or pasta.
- your choice of assorted fruit (pick 4 or more)
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves or 1 teaspoon
dried mint leaves
- Remove the seeds, cores, peels, stems, and rinds from
all of the fruits you are using.
- Carefully cut the fruits into 1-inch pieces. Cut enough
fruit so that you have a total of 5 cups.
- Place all cut fruit into a large serving bowl.
- Use a spatula to scrape the jelly into a small saucepan.
Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- When the jelly is smooth, remove from heat. Cool for
- Then add the jelly to the fruit mixture. Gently stir,
then add mint. Stir again until well mixed.
- Serve. Reminder: Soft fruits like bananas, strawberries,
and raspberries will get soft after one day.
- For biscuits
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- For fruit filling
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 medium size peaches or nectarines
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- For whipped cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the baking powder, salt,
1 cup of flour, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Mix well.
- Add the butter pieces. If a pastry blender is available,
cut the butter into smaller pieces until your mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
If you don't have a pastry blender, rub the pieces of butter and flour between
your fingers until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add 1/3 cup of milk. Stir mixture with a fork until well
- With your hands, form the dough into a ball.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour on a cutting board or cutting
- Place the ball of dough in this area and knead until
smooth. Knead the ball of dough by curving your fingers around it and folding
it toward you. Then push it away with the heels of your hand using a rocking
motion. Repeat this rocking motion 10 times.
- Then form your dough into a circle that measures 7 inches
across and is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Choose a cookie cutter and cut the dough into 4 biscuits.
Place the biscuits on the greased cookie sheet.
- Place the reamaining 1 tablespoon of milk into a small
bowl. Brush the top of each biscuit with the milk. Sprinkle the remaining
1 teaspoon sugar on each biscuit.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 375°F.
For fruit filling
- Rinse strawberries with cold water. Using a cutting board,
cut off stems and slice lengthwise. Put the strawberry slices in a medium
size mixing bowl. Rinse off cutting board.
- Place the peaches on the cutting board. Remove the skins
with a vegetable peeler. Then cut each peach in half. Remove the pit. Place
each half flat side down and cut into thin slices. Add the peach slices to
- Pour sugar over the fruit and mix well.
For whipped cream
- Put the heavy cream into a medium size mixing bowl. Add
vanilla extract and sugar.
- Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed until mixture
forms a soft peak. Soft peak is when the cream becomes thick and fluffy and
falls in soft mounds when you remove the beaters.
- Cut biscuits in half. Place each half, cut side up, on
a dessert place. Spoon some fruit filling on top of the biscuit. Next, spoon
some whipped cream on top of the fruit. Serve and enjoy this delicious fruit
- 1 cup nut-like cereal
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup unsweetened frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 4 cups fresh blueberries or 4 cups unsweetened frozen
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spread the cereal on the bottom of a 10-inch pie pan.
- Top the cereal with the sliced bananas.
- Put the cornstarch and water in a small mixing bowl.
Mix until smooth.
- Pour the apple juice concentrate into a small saucepan.
Place over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the apple juice
thickens and becomes a thick syrup. Reduce heat to low.
- Add the blueberries and vanilla extract to the saucepan.
Stir gently until the glaze coats all blueberries. Remove from heat.
- Pour over the bananas and cereal.
- Let crumble cool to room temperature before serving.
- 4 cups salad greens
- green leaf
- red leaf
- 8 large radishes
- 1/4 large cucumber
- choice of salad dressing
- 1 cup of variations, choose one and more
- avocado, cubed
- cooked broccoli
- cooked cauliflower
- yellow or red onions, sliced
- hard-cooked egg, chopped
- tomatoes, cliced
- cherry tomatoes
- red cabbage, shredded
- cooked beets, sliced
- cooked beans: black, garbanzo, cannellini, kidney,
- carrots, sliced
- celery, sliced
- peppers, sliced
- yellow squash, sliced
- mushrooms, sliced
- zucchini, sliced
- olives, pitted
- cheese, shredded or cubed
- Wash the salad greens using a large saucepan full of
water. Make sure you remove all sand and grit. Drain salad greens in a colander.
Arrange between kitchen or paper towels to dry. After they are dry, tear each
salad green to desired size and then place in a medium size serving bowl.
- Rinse radishes under cold water. Pat dry. Place radishes
on a cutting board and cut off the ends. Then cut each radish in half and
place the halves in the serving bowl.
- Use a vegetable peeler and peel the skin off the cucumber.
Then cut in half. Place each half cut side down and slice into thin slices.
Add to the serving bowl.
- Toss to mix salad greens, radishes, and cucmbers.
- Prepare variations and add to the serving bowl.
- Add salad dressing and toss salad to evenly coat greens
- Serve salad.
- 4 baking potatoes
- 1 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons olive or vegetable
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Set oven to 450°F.
- Scrub the potatoes while rinsing them under water. Pat
- Using a cuting board, cut each potato lengthwise in half.
Then place each half, flat side down, and cut into 3 pieces.
- Put the pieces into a 15 1/2-inch by 10 1/2-inch jelly-roll
- Sprinkle oil, salt, thyme, and pepper over the potatoes.
Stir potatoes with a spatula so they are evenly coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Then arrange the potatoes in a single layer in the jelly
- Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes. Carefully remove pan
and turn the potatoes over. Place back in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 30 total minutes of baking, check for doneness
by piercing fries with a fork to see if they are soft and tender. If completely
done, remove from oven. If they are not done, continue baking for 2 to 3 minutes,
then check for doneness.
- Transfer potato fries to a serving dish using a spatula
- 4 large all-purpose potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Use a vegetable peeler and peel off the skins.
- Rinse potatoes with cold water.
- Place on a cutting board and cut each one in half lengthwise.
Place each half flat side down and cut into 1-inch slices.
- Place the slices in a large size saucepan. Add enough
water so that it covers the potatoes.
- Bring potatoes to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat
to low and cover. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes begin testing the potatoes for doneness.
Pierce the potatoes with a fork to see if they feel soft and tender.
- When potatoes are done, drain the water using a colander.
IMPORTANT: Have an adult help you and pour the potatoes into the colander.
Boiling water can be dangerous and cause burns.
- After draining, place the potatoes back into the saucepan.
Using a potato masher, mash potatoes until they are smooth.
- Add the milk, butter, salt, and pepper.
- Place mixture over low heat. Stir until well combined
and hot. Remove from heat.
- Transer for serving dish and serve.
- Use preparation methods on the packaging.
- green beans
- mixed vegetables
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, oregano, or thyme, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of garlic salt or onion salt
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Using a cutting board, cut the stems off the tomatoes.
Then cut the tomatoes in half.
- Place the tomatoes cut sides up in a 2-quart square baking
- In a small bowl, mix together dry bread crumbs, Parmesan
cheese, margarine or butter, herb, pepper, and garlic or onion salt.
- Sprinkle mixture on top of tomatoes.
- Bake at 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve.
- 2 caffeine-free mint-flavored herbal tea bags
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups refrigerated tropical fruit juice blend
- Fill a tea kettle half full with water. Bring the water
to a boil on the stove over high heat.
- Place the tea bags in a large mixing bowl.
- When water comes to a boil, turn off the heat. Using
the help of an adult, fill a 2-cup liquid measuring cup with water. REMINDER:
Boiling water is very dangerous and can cause burns. Do not do this step yourself.
- Let the water and tea bags sit in the mixing bowl for
5 minutes. Use a spoon and remove the tea bags.
- Add sugar to the bowl. Mix until it completely dissolves.
- Add the fruit juice. Stir well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set in refrigerator so the
tea can cool.
- After it is cool, serve your delicious fruited ice tea!
Back to top
©Copyright (2002) Purdue University,
West Lafayette, Indiana, 47907. All Rights Reserved.