in the Food Industry
Listed below are specific
careers in the food industry. Find an area that interests you and interview
two or three people working in that area. Ask them questions such as:
- How did you get the job?
- What's a "typical" day on the job like?
- How long did you have to go to school?
- How can I get a headstart on finding out if I'd
like to do what you do?
- Advertising Sepcialist - organizes
advertising for print media, coordinates advertising promotions, and is familiar
with the food industry.
- Grocery Store Manager - oversees
all grocery store employees, advertising, marketing, and purchases.
- Food Processing Worker - a person
who works in a food processing plant that has a specific role in creating
the finished food product.
- Extension Educator - a person
who works in the county educating the public on a variety of issues and topics.
- Health Inspector - a health department
worker who is responsible for inspecting restaurants and cafeterias. They
assign a rating for the public to view after each inspection.
- Food Technologist - applies science
and engineering to the manufacturing process of food development.
- Baker -
a person who bakes and uses foods such as breads and cakes.
- Home Economics Teacher
- a person who works in a Jr. High or High School and educates students on
general food preparation and preservation, general nutrition, and life skills
such as cleaning and organization.
- Researcher - a person who researches
and investigates proposed methods and new discoveries.
- Bus Boy/Bus Girl - a waitress or waiter's helper
in a restaurant, usually in the clean up of a table.
- Food Broker - a person
who buys or sells food for food manufacturing companies.
- Food Scientist - applies scientific and engineering
principles in research, development, product technology, quality control,
packaging, processing, and utlization of food.
- Butcher - a person who
slaughters or dresses animals for food; also a dealer in meat.
- Food Salesman - a person
who markets, represents, and promotes the sale of certain food products for
a specific food manufacturing company.
- Test Kitchen Manager - a person that manages the
employees and work performed in a test kitchen. Test kitchen workers research
and develop new food ingredients and products.
- Nutrition Aide - a person
who works in a nutrition or dietary department and completes a variety of
tasks. These tasks may include delivering trays to patients in a hospital
or serving food in a cafeteria.
- Public Relations - a person who works in the marketing
and representation of food products to the general public.
- Caterer - a person who
provides food and service, for example at large parties or wedding receptions.
- Food Demonstrator -
a person who demonstrates the preparation of a recipe. Demonstrators may work
in a kitchen store, TV stations, or restaurants.
- Writer for Newsletter - a person who writes about
specific food related topics for newsletters. Topics may include food, restaurant,
or recipe reviews, food preparation techniques, or nutrition and wellness
- Hospital Food Service
- a person who works in a hospital kitchen preparing and serving food to patients,
workers, and guests.
- Dietitian - a person who coordinates, plans, and
conducts programs to educate patients about nutrition and administers medical
nutrition therapy. Dietitians also may oversee a food service operation.
- Nutritionist - a person
who conducts programs on nutrition; often works in wellness or weight loss
- Host/Hostess - a person
who greets and then seatss individuals as they enter a restaurant.
- Dishwasher - a person
who rinses, loads, and operates a dishwasher in a food service kitchen.
- School Lunch Server
- Serves food to youth in a school cafeteria.
- Vending Machine Stocker - a person who travels
to area vending machines and restocks them.
- Farmer - a person who
operates a farm, including raising livestock, planting, and harvesting land.
- Stock Person - a person who works with inventory
in a food warehouse. This person oversees the entering and exiting of food
from a manufacturer's warehouse.
- Warehouse Supervisor - a person who oversees the
employees and actions of a food storage warehouse.
- Packer - a person who works in a food processing
plant that packs foods in product packaging according to food safety and freshness
- Waiter/Waitress - a person who waits on tables
in a restaurant, serving food and drinks.
- Statistician - a person who works with the supply
and demand of food. Statisticians interpret data to determine percentages.
- Truck Driver - a person who transports food either
from the farmer to the processing plant or from the processing plant to the
grocery store, restaurant, or food market.
- Food Service Worker - Prepares salads, sauces,
desserts, entrees according to proper preparation methods. Serves food to
- Food Photojournalist - a person who writes about
food, recipes, or techniques using photographs as the main story, with small
©Copyright (2002) Purdue University,
West Lafayette, Indiana, 47907. All Rights Reserved.