in the Food Industry
Below are descriptions of
several careers in the food industry that are listed in activity 6a. What's
my line? in Level A Six Easy Bites.
- Advertising Sepcialist - organizes
advertising for print media, coordinates advertising promotions, and is familiar
with the food industry.
- Grocery Store Manager - oversees
all grocery store employees, advertising, marketing, and purchases.
- Food Processing Worker - a person
who works in a food processing plant that has a specific role in creating
the finished food product.
- Extension Educator - a person
who works in the county educating the public on a variety of issues and topics.
- Health Inspector - a health department
worker who is responsible for inspecting restaurants and cafeterias. They
assign a rating for the public to view after each inspection.
- Food Technologist - applies science
and engineering to the manufacturing process of food development.
- Baker -
a person who bakes and uses foods such as breads and cakes.
- Home Economics Teacher
- a person who works in a Jr. High or High School and educates students on
general food preparation and preservation, general nutrition, and life skills
such as cleaning and organization.
- Researcher - a person who researches
and investigates proposed methods and new discoveries.
- Bus Boy/Bus Girl - a waitress or waiter's helper
in a restaurant, usually in the clean up of a table.
- Food Broker - a person
who buys or sells food for food manufacturing companies.
- Food Scientist - applies scientific and engineering
principles in research, development, product technology, quality control,
packaging, processing, and utlization of food.
- Butcher - a person who
slaughters or dresses animals for food; also a dealer in meat.
- Food Salesman - a person
who markets, represents, and promotes the sale of certain food products for
a specific food manufacturing company.
- Test Kitchen Manager - a person that manages the
employees and work performed in a test kitchen. Test kitchen workers research
and develop new food ingredients and products.
- Nutrition Aide - a person
who works in a nutrition or dietary department and completes a variety of
tasks. These tasks may include delivering trays to patients in a hospital
or serving food in a cafeteria.
- Public Relations - a person who works in the marketing
and representation of food products to the general public.
- Caterer - a person who
provides food and service, for example at large parties or wedding receptions.
- Food Demonstrator -
a person who demonstrates the preparation of a recipe. Demonstrators may work
in a kitchen store, TV stations, or restaurants.
- Writer for Newsletter - a person who writes about
specific food related topics for newsletters. Topics may include food, restaurant,
or recipe reviews, food preparation techniques, or nutrition and wellness
- Hospital Food Service
- a person who works in a hospital kitchen preparing and serving food to patients,
workers, and guests.
- Dietitian - a person who coordinates, plans, and
conducts programs to educate patients about nutrition and administers medical
nutrition therapy. Dietitians also may oversee a food service operation.
- Nutritionist - a person
who conducts programs on nutrition; often works in wellness or weight loss
- Host/Hostess - a person
who greets and then seatss individuals as they enter a restaurant.
- Dishwasher - a person
who rinses, loads, and operates a dishwasher in a food service kitchen.
- School Lunch Server
- Serves food to youth in a school cafeteria.
- Vending Machine Stocker - a person who travels
to area vending machines and restocks them.
- Farmer - a person who
operates a farm, including raising livestock, planting, and harvesting land.
- Stock Person - a person who works with inventory
in a food warehouse. This person oversees the entering and exiting of food
from a manufacturer's warehouse.
- Warehouse Supervisor - a person who oversees the
employees and actions of a food storage warehouse.
- Packer - a person who works in a food processing
plant that packs foods in product packaging according to food safety and freshness
- Waiter/Waitress - a person who waits on tables
in a restaurant, serving food and drinks.
- Statistician - a person who works with the supply
and demand of food. Statisticians interpret data to determine percentages.
- Truck Driver - a person who transports food either
from the farmer to the processing plant or from the processing plant to the
grocery store, restaurant, or food market.
- Food Service Worker - Prepares salads, sauces,
desserts, entrees according to proper preparation methods. Serves food to
- Food Photojournalist - a person who writes about
food, recipes, or techniques using photographs as the main story, with small
Back to top
©Copyright (2002) Purdue University,
West Lafayette, Indiana, 47907. All Rights Reserved.